Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Dino Describing! A DIY activity

It's Dinosaur week here in preschool.. one of my favorite weeks!  I wanted to share a DIY I did this week to use for small group rotations in the classrooms.. Describing Dinos!



This is pretty much just a DIY version of the "Hedbandz" game.. I took 3 strips of black construction paper, laminated them, and then stapled them together to fit around my head.  I put a Velcro dot on the front center of the "headband", and attached Velcro to the bottom of each laminated dinosaur picture I was using to be able to easily interchange the pictures.  I just found these images from Google searches and Graphics Factory!


For the activity, I had groups of 3-4 kids at a time, and each one had to take a turn describing one aspect of the dinosaur on my head to help me guess which one it was.  I had made two sets of pictures-- one to go on my head (laminated with Velcro) and another set to lay out on the table as my choices when I was guessing.

 It was a great way to expressively target some basic concepts like long/short/tall, etc.. I created this visual to help them learn different ways to describe a dinosaur:

I used this with my afternoon kids because they're older and most are at a higher level than my morning kids (many are turning 5 and going to kindergarten next year, whereas my morning is full of lots of little 3 year olds!), and it worked really well for them! Challenging enough, but not too challenging, and they LOVED it.  They thought it was *hilarious* to see one of their "teachers" wear something silly like this. 

I also happened to be doing this activity in a classroom when the principal walked in to do her observation of the teacher... My timing is impeccable... ha.  I turned around in my chair and there was the principal, while I've got a big dinosaur smack dab on my forehead! I think she appreciated it, though.. :)

You can download the dinosaur pictures and describing visual here if you'd like to use it!



3 comments:

  1. When a buyer knows that most of the work in the house is done by the guy who owned it they know that there is no guarantee of quality. watch the tutorial on youtube

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10