Monday, February 10, 2014

Olympic Rings Craftivity

Hi, my name is Kari and I'm an Olympics junkie.

Since I'm a junkie, I decided I had to incorporate the Winter Olympics into therapy somehow! In small groups today in one of my prek classrooms, we did a fun and super easy Olympic rings craftivity involving some basic vocabulary.

All you need for this activity are some paper plates, glue, crayons or markers, scissors, and pictures of red, blue, green, black, and yellow items. You may be able to snag some paper plates from the cafeteria if you don't already have some in your room!


To start out, either you or your students color the outer edges of the paper plates the different colors of the Olympic rings. When you're done, fold it in half and snip the middle of the plate to start cutting out the center.
For my small group activity, I had the kids take turns pulling pictures of different colored items out of a bag. They had to name the picture and then find the Olympic ring whose color matched the color of the picture in their hand. Once they did, they glued the picture onto the ring.



We ended up using the same rings for each of the 3 groups since I didn't get a chance to prep more than one set ahead of time, so that's why there are multiple pictures of the same things on each ring.. but many of my kids need the repetition so really, it worked out just fine! :)  This was a great activity for my 3s and younger 4s still working on basic picture and color naming skills.   It also lends itself well to WH questions about the pictures, as well as categories.  You could probably even have your students describe the pictures for a higher level task!

Don't have time to find your own photos for this activity? Grab mine here!

I also plan to use this with my artic kids tomorrow! I will use the small size paper plates and have them color the "rings" as they do drill.  I plan to copy the black/white pictures from the Jumbo Artic Book from Super Duper onto colored paper (blue, red, green, and yellow printer paper) and after they draw a picture from the bag, they'll glue pictures of their speech words onto the different colored rings based on the color paper the words were copied on.  If you don't have the Jumbo Artic Book, you can print off free pictures from Mommy Speech Therapy.  Print in grayscale and put colored printer paper in the machine-- easy peasy!


How are you incorporating the Olympics into speech therapy? Would love to hear your ideas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10